Common Causes of Fires at Home

putting out fire with fire extinguisher

Fires in the home can be devastating events that lead to the need for fire damage restoration in Portland , or in some cases, the loss of your home. The most common causes of house fires are factors that can be easily prevented. For awareness on these common causes that lead to the need for fire restoration, continue reading. fire extinguisher putting out flame

Smoking in the House

Smoking indoors is one of the most common causes of house fires, and one of the most preventable. By smoking outdoors instead, you greatly reduce the chances of a cigarette causing a fire in your home. If someone does smoke in your home, make sure to have ashtrays easily accessible for ashes and be sure that cigarette butts are completely put out before discarding. Even if indoor smoking does not lead to a fire, over the years it can cause smoke damage throughout your home.

Cooking Hazards

Kitchen fires are quite common in many households and occur for a number of reasons. Stovetops and ovens should not be left unattended and a fire extinguisher should be kept nearby. When a pot or pan on the stovetop overheats or grease splatters, fire can start and spread within seconds. Be sure to keep items that can catch fire easily—such as oven mitts, paper towels, or kitchen towels—a safe distance away from a stovetop that is in use.

Holiday Decorations

While a Christmas tree can be essential to holiday decorations, it can also be a major fire hazard. Live trees easily dry out, so it is important to regularly water a tree as long as it is in the house. Keeping the tree too long after Christmas as it dries out increases the chances of it becoming kindling to a fire. Christmas lights can be hazardous as well, and indoor lights should not be left on for long periods of time or when nobody is home.

Appliances and Electrical Equipment

Appliances such as washers and dryers are common causes for house fires. Regular maintenance on appliances insures proper function and reduced risk for possible fires and future fire restoration. Electrical wiring, especially in older homes, can be problematic if faulty.