Home Fire Hazards to Watch For

You may think that a house fire could never happen to you, until you are looking at weeks’ worth of fire damage restoration in Portland . There are several fire hazards to look out for at home to keep you from having to deal with fire and smoke damage restoration. close up on dryer with clothes in and door open

Worn Out Electrical Cords

The older your electronics become, the more worn out their cords and wiring become. This is most evident when you can see the interior wires and connections through the outer, protective cord casing. If you can see noticeable wear and tear, or even cut and chewing marks, then you are looking at a potential fire hazard. Exposed wiring in your electrical cords, or faulty wiring in your walls, can easily start an electrical fire that could quickly engulf your home. Electrical fires can be particularly dangerous because the electricity could be conducted through the water meant to put it out. If you know you have worn out cords and wiring, call a licensed electrician before your home suffers fire and smoke damage.

Backed Up Dryer Vent

Many people do not realize they should be cleaning out more than just their dryer’s lint trap; they should be cleaning out the dryer vent, as well. Lint contains flammable fibers, such as cotton and paper. The more that lint backs up into the vent and the vent hose, the more danger your home might face. Every time your dryer is on, it generates heat. That heat reacts with the lint buildup and can eventually create a fire.

Unattended Stovetop

Most people know to not walk away from an open flame on a gas stovetop. However, even if you have an electric stovetop, you should not walk away. Leaving a stovetop unattended can cause a grease fire or burning food. At best, you may only need to deal with smoke restoration, but, at worst, you could have a full-blown fire on your hands. Never leave your kitchen unattended because you could be looking at fire damage restoration before too long.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *