Fire & Smoke Restoration
Disaster Repair and Cleanup Services in Portland
If your home has been damaged by fire or smoke, you know that it can have a devastating effect on your family and lifestyle. When fire strikes your home, it’s essential to act quickly in order to protect your property and keep your loved ones safe. If you suspect a fire in your home, it is extremely important that you contact emergency services right away.
At Great Western Restoration, we take fire and smoke damage very seriously and are committed to helping you through this difficult situation by getting your home back to the way it was. We offer fire damage restoration and soot damage cleanup services to Portland and the surrounding area, including carpet cleaning, smoke damage repair, and fire restoration services.
Common Reasons for Home Fires
The best way to keep your home safe from fires is to learn what is most likely to cause them. These are the most common reasons for home fires in the United States:
- Cooking accidents- Leaving a hot stove unattended, keeping flammable materials near the stove, and grease spills can all spark fires.
- Heating equipment- Space heaters, fireplaces, wood stoves, and central heating units can all cause fires if they are used or maintained improperly.
- Electrical accidents- Loose or frayed cords, older electrical outlets, inadequate wiring, and running cords near flammable materials can all cause house fires.
- Smoking- Falling asleep while smoking, dropping lit cigarettes, and spilling hot cigarette ashes cause hundreds of house fires every year.
Understanding Fire and Smoke Damage
Damage after a fire goes far beyond burned possessions and architectural features. In fact, there may be significant and dangerous problems hiding under the surface of your home, lurking in your walls and threatening your health for years to come. Without immediate attention, your home may be deemed unlivable, putting you and your family on the street with nowhere to go.
- Soot damage: While not dangerous to your health, soot is highly acidic and begins to stain surfaces right away, causing discoloration on surfaces like plaster and wallboard.
- Smoke damage: Smoke can damage the surfaces in your home, including floors, carpeting, wood, walls, and furniture. Without cleanup, you may need to redo your home or replace property, creating lasting problems. Breathing in smoke can also be extremely dangerous, putting your health at risk.
Health risks related to these damages are numerous, including burns, compromised lung function, irritation to the nose and throat, angina, shortness of breath, and respiratory distress. Exposure to smoke can also cause worsening of conditions for those with both cardiovascular and respiratory issues.
Is there damage you can’t spot by eye? The short answer is yes. Smoke and soot aren’t always noticeable by sight, causing problems you can’t see coming. Without proper treatment, you’ll never know what risks are lurking, putting your property and your family in harm’s way.
Why You Need Professional Fire Damage Restoration
The damage from a fire can be far-reaching, creating problems you can’t see and don’t know about. Even if you clean as thoroughly as you know how, there may still be fire damage, soot damage, or smoke cleanup to handle.
At Great Western Restoration, we’re prepared to do what it takes to help you bring your home back to livable condition. With the ability to address the consequences of fire quickly and easily, we are able to restore your home to its beautiful, safe, undamaged state—all while treating you to the customer service you deserve.
- Cleaning your home of smoke and fire residue
- Salvaging personal property
- Repairing any structural damage
- Cleaning your appliances and electronics of residue
- Work with your insurance
The Process of Restoration
The process of home restoration after a fire takes many steps. From assessing the damage to completing the final fire restoration, our fire damage remediation service will ensure your home is not only safe but restored to its original condition as well.
We will thoroughly clean the smoke and fire residue out of your home, repair any structural damage to the building, and work to clean and salvage your personal possessions. We are professionals who know the importance of how to get the smoke smell out of the house in addition to ensuring there are no lingering health risks associated with fire damage.
Properly handling a fire situation isn’t easy. This is what you need to know to protect your home—and, more importantly, your life and the lives of those you care about.
- If a fire occurs in your home, the most important step in the fire restoration process is to minimize the damage. Leave your home immediately and contact emergency services to put out the fire.
- After a fire, your home must be inspected to determine the extent of the damage and whether it is safe for you to return. Call a fire restoration company and schedule a full inspection to assess the damage caused by fire and smoke.
- Your homeowners’ insurance may cover the cost of fire restoration in most cases. Once you have an estimate from your home restoration company, call your insurance to find out more.
- During the restoration process, your home must be protected. Your home restoration company may board up damaged windows and doors and cover your roof with a tarp if needed.
- Before restoration can occur, smoke and soot must be removed from the surfaces of your home. This will eliminate not only the visible damage but the odors left behind by a fire as well.
- All items and surfaces in your home that can be cleaned and repaired will be restored to their previous condition. Any components of your home that are permanently damaged beyond repair will be replaced to ensure safety and eliminate any signs that a fire occurred.