Fire & Smoke Restoration
Disaster Repair and Cleanup Services in Portland
If your home has been damaged by fire or smoke, you know that it can have a devastating effect on your family and lifestyle. At Great Western Restoration, we take fire and smoke damage very seriously and are committed to helping you through this difficult situation by getting your home back to the way it was.
When fire strikes your home, it’s essential to act quickly in order to protect your property and keep your loved ones safe. We offer fire damage restoration and soot damage cleanup services to Portland and the surrounding area, including carpet cleaning, smoke damage repair, and fire restoration services. We will thoroughly clean the smoke and fire residue out of your home, repair any structural damage to the building, and work to clean and salvage your personal possessions. We are professionals who know the importance of how to get smoke smell out of the house in addition to ensuring there is no lingering health risks associated with fire damage.
Common Reasons for Home Fires
The best way to keep your home safe from fires is to learn what is most likely to cause them. These are the most common reasons for home fires in the United States:
- Cooking accidents- Leaving a hot stove unattended, keeping flammable materials near the stove, and grease spills can all spark fires.
- Heating equipment- Space heaters, fireplaces, wood stoves, and central heating units can all cause fires if they are used or maintained improperly.
- Electrical accidents- Loose or frayed cords, older electrical outlets, inadequate wiring, and running cords near flammable materials can all cause house fires.
- Smoking- Falling asleep while smoking, dropping lit cigarettes, and spilling hot cigarette ashes cause hundreds of house fires every year.
Understanding Fire and Smoke Damage
When a fire has been put out, it’s easy to assume that the extent of the damage is finished. However, fire and smoke damage can have lasting effects on your home and personal property. Here are some of the common damage that happens after a fire:
- Soot residue begins to settle as soon as a fire is put out. Soot is highly acidic, which means that it will begin to stain surfaces right away. Porous surfaces such as plaster and wallboard are particularly vulnerable to discoloration.
- In a few hours, the long-term effects of smoke damage become more obvious. Smoke reside will damage floors, carpeting, clothing, finished wood, and painted walls. It will also begin to rust and corrode metal.
- If your home is not treated right away by a smoke damage restoration company, much of your property may need to be replaced. The longer soot is allowed to remain in a home, the more comprehensive deterioration will be. This is one of the main reasons why a professional fire restoration company is needed to help properly clean up after the damage has been done.
- It can be painful to breathe in a location with extensive fire and smoke damage, and while this is sometimes not spotted by eye, you will feel the ill effects if your property is not professionally treated by a fire restoration company.
How Can We Help
Your comfort is important to us. Here at Great Western Restoration, we are so committed to our legacy of quality and outstanding customer service. Our service technicians will take all necessary steps to restore your home to its beautiful, safe, undamaged state—all while treating you to the customer service you deserve.
- Cleaning your home of smoke and fire residue
- Salvaging personal property
- Repairing any structural damage
- Cleaning your appliances and electronics of residue
- Work with your insurance
The Process of Restoration
The process of home restoration after a fire takes many steps. From assessing the damage to completing the final fire restoration, your fire damage remediation service will ensure your home is not only safe, but restored to its original condition as well.
- If a fire occurs in your home, the most important step in the fire restoration process is to minimize the damage. Leave your home immediately and contact emergency services to put out the fire.
- After a fire, your home must be inspected to determine the extent of the damage and whether it is safe for you to return. Call a fire restoration company and schedule a full inspection to assess the damage caused by fire and smoke.
- Your homeowners’ insurance may cover the cost of fire restoration in most cases. Once you have an estimate from your home restoration company, call your insurance to find out more.
- During the restoration process, your home must be protected. Your home restoration company may board up damaged windows and doors and cover your roof with a tarp if needed.
- Before restoration can occur, smoke and soot must be removed from the surfaces of your home. This will eliminate not only the visible damage, but the odors left behind by a fire as well.
- All items and surfaces in your home that can be cleaned and repaired will be restored to their previous condition. Any components of your home that are permanently damaged beyond repair will be replaced to ensure safety and eliminate any signs that a fire occurred.