Bacteria and Mold Removal in Portland, OR
We Can Take Care of Your Mold Removal Needs
Flooding is very prevalent in Portland, OR, with around 40 inches of rainfall every year. A flooded house is no fun, but it can quickly become dangerous as the water damage fosters bacteria and mold growth. Mold has numerous adverse effects and can even make you and your family sick. If you’ve spotted signs of bacteria or mold growth throughout your home, it’s time to call in the professionals. Among Portland’s most trusted disaster recovery specialists is Great Western Restoration & Remodeling. We’re highly trained to take care of flood and water damage, as well as clean up sewage and smoke damage. Whether your house has flooded because of extreme weather or burst pipes, we’re the team to call. Learn more about our water damage restoration services and get your home back as soon as possible!
Identifying Common Types of Mold
Mold removal can be tricky since there are so many different types commonly found in water-damaged homes. Great Western Restoration & Remodeling deals with mold daily, and we’ve nearly seen it all. Most cases we deal with involve one of the following types of mold:
- Alternaria: This type of mold is common indoors and outdoors and is known to increase the risk of asthma attacks and allergies. You’re most likely to find Alternaria in dark, damp areas.
- Aspergillus: Another one of the most common types of mold, aspergillus, is particularly dangerous to inhale and can cause numerous respiratory complications.
- Aureobasidium: This common mold often has a pink or black color and grows on wooden surfaces and painted walls.
- Chaetomium: If your drywall has undergone water damage, you’re at particular risk for this type of mold. Most homeowners report a musty smell as a result of chaetomium.
- Penicillium: This harmful type of mold grows in insulation and on water-damaged furniture. If you spot signs of penicillium, seek help right away as this mold spreads quickly.
- Trichoderma: Like many of the aforementioned types, Trichoderma is often found in water-damaged carpeting, walls, and other surfaces.
- Ulocladium: This mold is characteristic of flooded houses and other areas that have experienced severe water damage. Ulocladium is known to cause allergic reactions and infections.
What Are the Signs of Mold Damage?
Although mold is very common after water damage, it can be challenging to detect if you don’t know what to look for. If you suspect mold in your home, you should always call in the experts at Great Western Restoration & Remodeling. However, we understand the need to be sure before you invest the time to call a professional. Look for the following signs you need mold removal services:
- Visible mold: This seems like a no-brainer, but different forms of mold come in varying colors and patterns. If you spot mold in one part of your home, keep in mind it may have spread to other rooms as well.
- Odd smells: Mold has a distinct musty odor that may spread throughout your home. The smell will likely become stronger as you get closer to the source of the mold growth.
- Respiratory issues: Mold can cause serious health problems in people who’ve been exposed to it. Those with preexisting respiratory issues, such as asthma, are, particularly at risk. You may also experience a runny nose, sore throat, watery eyes, or headaches.
- Chipping paint: If you notice paint chipping or wallpaper peeling, it could be a sign of the water damage in which mold thrives. Watch for any kind of deterioration or warping that may be a result of water damage.
- Leaks or rust: These are less a sign of mold, and more a sign of water damage. However, water damage quickly gives way to mold. It’s best to take care of these problems before they facilitate mold growth.
Recovering from Mold Damage
So, you’ve come to the conclusion you need mold removal. How do you start the recovery process? Of course, you should always call in the professionals at Great Western Restoration & Remodeling. We’re your experts in water damage restoration and disaster recovery services, and our technicians know how to make your home livable again. In the meantime, there are a few steps you can take yourself to help mitigate the damage. Identify the rooms affected by mold, making sure to wear a breathing mask. Seal off the affected areas and wash moldy surfaces with detergent and warm water. Once dried, you can also use bleach to remove even more mold. You may need to repeat this process several times to eliminate as much mold as possible. This is an excellent start to mold removal while waiting for the professionals to thoroughly clean the area.
Schedule Mold Removal Services Today
No matter the extent of the water damage or mold growth, Great Western Restoration & Remodeling are your partners in disaster recovery services. We understand that a flooded house is traumatic, and we’ll do everything we can to streamline the mold removal process. Our technicians in Portland OR ensure you don’t have to bear the burden of water damage restoration. Contact us today to learn more about mold removal.
Why Choose Us?
- Direct Billing & Deductible Assistance
- 24 Hour Emergency Service
- Immediate Response