Electrical Damage from Flooded Houses in Portland, OR
Responding to Electrical Damage After a Flood
Whether you’ve been left with a flooded house or only minor water damage, you’re at risk for electrical damage as well. After a flood, many homeowners forget about electrical devices, and we can’t blame them. You have a lot to think about—mold removal, water damage restoration, and possibly even relocating your family. Fortunately, Great Western Restoration & Remodeling is here to take care of the electrical damage. It’s one less thing on your plate, and you can rest assured we’ll get the job done safely. We’re Portland, OR’s trusted experts in disaster recovery services, and we’re ready to help you. Learn more about electrical damage and what it means for you and your family.
What Can Be Damaged by Flooding?
Water damage can affect a wide variety of electrical equipment. Some of these can be fixed by an experienced electrician, while others need to be replaced to restore their function. At Great Western Restoration & Remodeling, we know repairing electrical appliances is paramount to water damage restoration. We recommend you check the following for water damage, and replace any equipment you find to be harmed:
- Low and medium voltage fuses
- Surge protectors
- Light switches or dimmers
- Wires and cables
Some Electrical Equipment Is Salvageable
Lucky homeowners may be able to salvage some of their water-damaged electrical work. While most components of your system will need to be replaced, some parts can be reconditioned with the help of an expert. Ask the team at Great Western Restoration & Remodeling about restoring the following electrical equipment:
- High voltage AC circuit breakers
- Low voltage power circuit breakers
- Wires and cables (for wet areas and without damaged edges)
Signs of Electrical Damage as a Result of Water
How do I spot electrical damage? This is a question our team hears often. Many homeowners are unsure where the line is between minor contact with water and significant water damage. If you ever suspect you have water damage after flooding in your home, it’s always best to get a professional opinion. However, there are a few ways you decide for yourself whether expert help is necessary. Look for the following signs of electrical damage:
- Equipment is underwater: If you notice any wires or equipment are totally submerged, you’ll need to call in a professional immediately. Some outdoor lighting fixtures may be an exception to this rule, but you should always ask if you’re not sure.
- Humming or buzzing noises: Constant humming or buzzing sounds coming from wires and appliances could be a sign of water damage. However, we strongly discourage you from trying to fix this yourself, especially if the equipment is near a pool of water. Touching the item could give you a potentially dangerous electric shock.
Why It’s Important to Take Action
We want to stress that you should take care of any electrical damage right away. Failing to do so could put you and your family at risk of additional dangers. With the help of the team from Great Western Restoration & Remodeling, you can avoid these potential issues associated with electrical damage:
- Worsening damage: Leaving electrical damage unaddressed may only worsen the problem. Wiring might arc and cause a power surge, and a power surge could damage other appliances inside your home.
- Electrical shock: Contact with damaged wiring can lead to electric shock and potentially severe injuries.
- Fire: Exposed or damaged wiring poses a risk for fire. If an exposed wire makes contact with the wrong thing, a fire can get out of hand quickly.
How Can I Fix Electrical Damage?
Electrical damage requires professional help right away. Never attempt to repair any damage yourself, as doing so puts yourself in harm’s way. Be sure to hire a qualified electrician to examine the damage and recommend a course of action for repair. Any submerged wires or electrical appliances need to be evaluated by a professional before deciding if it can be salvaged or not. Do not attempt to turn on any electrical appliances until they have been cleared by the team at Great Western Restoration & Remodeling.
Schedule Electrical Repairs Today
No matter the extent of the electrical damage, Great Western Restoration & Remodeling is here to help. We’ve worked on projects big and small, helping homeowners restore a sense of normalcy after a severe storm or flooded house. Our services extend beyond water damage to other disaster recovery services, including fire damage restoration, fixing frozen pipes, and more. We’ve helped numerous families throughout Portland, OR with our premier water damage restoration services and electrical repairs. If you’re trying to recover from electrical damage, our team is only a call away. Contact us today to schedule a service.
Why Choose Us?
- Direct Billing & Deductible Assistance
- 24 Hour Emergency Service
- Immediate Response